*** The 21 Mile Option was very popular in 2019, but we really want to see everyone try for the full run, so this year we will open for registration of the 52k March 20. After May 20, runners can register for either the 52k or the 21 mile race to fill remaining slots.
See COURSE INFORMATION for more details, or sign up at http://www.ultrasignup.com
We’re happy to announce the Second Annual Wildland 52 will take place September 12, 2020 in Jemez Springs, NM. The race is a 52 kilometer trail race in the Jemez mountains in Northern New Mexico.
The Wildland 52 course will feature over 8,000′ of elevation gain and 6,500′ of elevation loss. Much of the elevation change is in condensed sections, so there is much runnable terrain in between. The course varies from dirt roads, faint two track, established single track, dozer lines, primitive trail, and “no-trail”. Some areas the track is well defined, others will be flagged and the line you take is “runner’s choice”. While 50% of the course will be on maintained single track, dirt or gravel or rocky roads (not necessarily smooth) so you can open up that stride a bit; the other 50% is rugged, unimproved, steep and very technical, requiring your full attention and grit.
The course was intended to help display the rigors of wildland firefighting; regardless of the terrain, obstacles, physical discomfort or conditions, they must contain that fire. Often, they will use roads as containment lines, but will have to link those barriers, cutting containment lines straight up the steepest sections by hand. The routes they choose is not the easiest, but the most effective and often the most direct. Dozer lines may be cut as wide breaks, and while at times wildland fire trucks may be driven up them, most often crews will hike these lines, carrying between 35 and 90 pounds and dragging hundreds of feet of hose with them.
September 29, 2018 we held the first annual Wildland 52k Ultramarathon. Our goal was to donate half of each entry to two non-profit organizations dedicated to the safety, mental and emotional health, and assistance in the event of a tragedy to wildland firefighters, their families and crews. I am so excited to share that with the generous support from our sponsors and private donations, we were able to exceed our anticipated $650.00 donation goal and instead split over $2,500 between the Wildland Firefighter Foundation and the Wildland Firefighter Guardian Institute!
This year, we will split 80% of the proceeds between the Eric Marsh Foundation, Wildland Firefighter Guardian Institute; both organizations were created after the Yarnell Hill tragedy, when 19 of the Granite Mountain Hotshots perished. The GMH was in the Jemez fighting the Thompson Ridge Fire just weeks before they died; working alongside the La Cueva VFD and USFS Jemez Ranger District fire fighters. 20% of this year’s proceeds will go to La Cueva VFD; this volunteer fire department covers the majority of the Jemez Mountains, providing medical, structural and wildland fire fighting and SAR/high angle rescue services to the residents and thousands of visitors to our beautiful mountains; they also make time to volunteer for this race, even though they could spend the weekend getting some R&R after the busy summer/ tourist season winds down (talk about endurance!)! This is the first year we have donated to them, but I feel it’s well earned and also overdue…
The race is limited to 30 runners this year; entrants must have previously completed a mountain ultramarathon.
Registration for the 52k is open on Ultrasignup and is $110.00 ($120.00 after 7/12); the 21 mile is $100.00 and $110.00 after 7/12). A minimum of $52.00 of each entry is guaranteed to be donated, as well as any additional proceeds! Registration closes 8/12.
We are sorry, but we cannot offer refunds for any reason and cannot defer entries to future races. Due to all profits being donated and the limited amount of entries, we cannot offer any refunds or transfer entries to next year.
Contact us with questions about the race, entry, volunteering or event sponsorship!!
Cheryl & the Wildland 52 Crew
email: firstname.lastname@example.org phone: (970)-919-0271
FOLLOW US! Facebook and Instagram: @runwildland52
REGISTRATION is OPEN on ULTRASIGNUP.COM
The Wildland 52 course is held on 90% Santa Fe National Forest; permit has been issued by the Jemez Ranger District. Written permission has been granted by Private and State landholders for the other 10%.
RACE HYDRATION AND NUTRUTION PROVIDED BY:
And a special thanks to our 2018 sponsors!!
Thanks to their support we were able to donate 100% of runner entry fees, plus some! Wildland 52 donated over $2,500.00 to WFGI and WFF in 2018!
WE WOULD LIKE TO EXPRESS OUR SINCER GRATTITUDE TO THESE GENEROUS SUPPORTERS:
CWW Feed Store Amanda’s High Country Store
Classic Air Medical
La Cueva Volunteer Fire Department (medical support)
Dr. Halloway at Grant, Gibble & Davis Dental